Friday, November 17, 2006

Scramblefuck

Wednesday was weird. Definitely the kind of day people who are not in real estate like to believe we have all day every day. The kind of day that makes people smile, shake their heads and go, "I could never do what you do!" Thursday was more of the same.

The gay attorney vetoed a huge $2000 studio on Lex and 26th, doesn't like the neighborhood and doormen "freak him out." This is fine because that apt is a co-broke so L and I would make about $12 each. Next we go see some places that have everything but are too expensive. A possibility. Last we see a cute studio w/exposed brick and mews views in the EV, also $2K. He likes it and wants to put in the app. Open listing--score! On the way back to the office, another broker calls me offering an appt for a place in the WV. Probably cute and definitely pre-war charm--in the building where that actress was murdered the other week. Co-broke. I tell him I'll call back. In the meantime, we run his app up to the mgmt office, only to find out there's an app ahead of us...FUCK!

Late in the afternoon we went to see the WV studio, which was awesome. EIK, nice bathroom, large bright room facing the back of the building, all rooms off a central hallway that make the apartment feel huge. He puts in the app there as well. When I go to drop it off at the other broker's office, I find out we are second in line--again!! FUCK!

And something else weird happens. The broker, who is very old school and kind of curmudgeonly, and who once, threatened to ban me from 1 University because I didn't follow his protocol. I sat down in his tiny office, waiting for a receipt or something and he actually called me by name (which we know I like) and asked me how it's going?! I have more to say about this subject but this post is already too long. Suffice it to say it was weird.

The sum of this back and forth is that the kid ended up putting in 4 apps on 4 different apartments. First one was with the "grudge" management company and isn't going to work. Second two we were second deal in line, didn't work. The fourth was from last night and I really hope it goes through. He actually said to L last night, "Should I get my hopes up?" SAD....

The other deal we are working on is with this Korean ex-naval academy kid, now going to NYU. His super rich parents live in Southern California and are renting him a place w/a doorman and gym for $3000/mo. The place he applied for was a co-op and turned him down, I just found out this morning. So we had a backup, but it was too expensive. I had the listings manager call to see if they'd take less on the rent. We got the offer down to $3050, AND I said I'd take a point off the fee. No go. Fuckin' people! So L called up the building to try to shake something else out (a big studio, something) and found they had just lowered the rent on another apartment, $2795. Sweet! And it's a straight deal, not a co-broke like the co-op was. He's "racing down here" with his app fees.

Getting the rest of the paperwork from the mom was like pulling teeth. At the end of biz Thursday, we found out they were rejected for some mysterious reason involving whatever they found on the credit reports. It's fucked. But I still have to find him an apartment.

On the plus side, I got a phone call from Metro Plus telling me what paperwork they need to consider giving me FREE HEALTH INSURANCE!!! Rules!

Oy, exhausted!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home